What are your specialties?
- I specialize in proofreading and editing academic content, corporate/professional copy, verbatim transcription (usually legal proceedings), and book indexing. I have bachelor’s degrees in English, sociology, and psychology. I also have a master’s in education, specifically in the area of curriculum and instruction. I have taken numerous courses over the years and continue to remain abreast of all things concerning the English language.
How do you monitor the time you spend on each project?
- I use Caato Time Tracker on my Mac desktop as I work. I am able to pause the timer when I take a break for whatever reason, then restart when I get back to the document. I am also able to send you a screenshot of the time I spend on your assignment and will do this as an attachment on the invoice (if/when requested).
- When I’m mobile, I use Swipetimes Time Tracker (Google Play on Android). I can still show you the amount of time I spend on your project.
How do I know what you’ve changed or marked?
- I use Microsoft’s Track Changes feature in Word documents. If the document is a PDF, I will write on it in “red ink” as though it were a piece of paper. I will send you the document with the edits/marks for review.
- Update: We made the switch from MacOS to Windows. With that said, I will still use the same tracking options as referenced above.
How does payment work?
- First, I need to take a look at the document to be edited. From there, I will give you an estimate as to how long it might take me to complete the project. Once I have finished editing or proofreading, I will send you the document for review. After you’ve approved the edited document, or if I haven’t heard from you within two business days, I will send you the final invoice for your project via PayPal.
- Invoices are sent out on the first day of each month. For example, If I proofed 22 hours for you in February, you will receive an invoice for that work on March 1st. Each invoice must be paid within 30 days of receipt.
What does your editing process look like?
- I read through the entire document to get a feel for the content and context, as well as your voice.
- I work on grammar, syntax, punctuation, word choice, etc.
- I edit the style and flow of the paper and make sure the paper adheres to the rubric provided (if available). During this read, I also double-check formatting requirements against the appropriate style guide.
- I complete a final read, only touching up where necessary prior to sending to you for approval.
What does your indexing process involve?
- I read the document to comprehend content (with notes).
- I will complete a second read of the document in order to mark words and pages of importance (with index cards and notes).
- I then run the PDF through a software program that helps make sure I didn’t miss any pages.
- I will revise and edit the index.
- Finally, I return the content and send the completed file to the author.
Can I see my document before I pay the final invoice?
- Of course! Send me an email and I will send you what I have completed as of that very moment. I only send the final invoice when I have finished editing the document and you are happy.
Do you have some sort of guarantee?
- While I cannot guarantee that your content will increase your sales, or become the next best-selling novel, I can promise another look or a portion of your money back should your copy be rejected for issues concerning the English language.
- Just a note: I always run through each document three times prior to sending it back to you!
What file types and software do you work with?
- I work with PDF and Microsoft Word files when I proofread and edit. I use Microsoft Word so that I may track the changes while proofreading and editing. If you do send a different file type, that is fine. I have Macintosh Pages, etc. and can easily convert the file to a PDF or Word document for proofreading and editing.
- For verbatim transcripts, I will employ StenoCAT Scopist for scoping and proofreading. Please contact me for further details.
If you have any other questions, let me know!