What are your specialties?
- I specialize in proofreading and editing academic content, corporate/professional copy, verbatim transcription (usually legal proceedings), and book indexing. I have bachelor’s degrees in English, sociology, and psychology. I also have a master’s in education, specifically in the area of curriculum and instruction. I have taken numerous courses over the years and continue to remain abreast of all things concerning the English language.
What is the most common style guide you use and/or are familiar with?
- By far, APA is the most common style guide my clients use. This was the very first guide I learned, and it constitutes the majority of my own academic works as well. I am also versed in CMOS, AP, MLA, ASA, etc. Many publications have their own requirements, which I am more than happy to accommodate.
How do you monitor the time you spend on each project?
- I use Time Squared on my Android. I am able to pause the timer when I take a break, then restart when I get back to the document.
How do I know what you’ve changed or marked?
- I use Microsoft’s Track Changes feature in Word documents. If the document is a PDF, I will use Adobe’s commenting and mark-up tools as though it were a piece of paper. I will send you the document with the edits/marks for review.
How does payment work?
- Invoices are sent out on the first day of each month. For example, If I worked on your project for 22 hours in February, you will receive an invoice for that work on March 1st. Each invoice must be paid within 30 days of receipt. Invoices are sent via PayPal Business, though I am in the process of switching to a different accounting software. Stay tuned!
- Regarding late fees: A late fee of $10 per month will be applied to all invoices not paid within 30 days.
What does your editing process look like?
- I read through the entire document to get a feel for the content and context, as well as your voice.
- I work on grammar, syntax, punctuation, word choice, etc.
- I edit the style and flow of the paper and make sure the paper adheres to the rubric provided (if available). During this read, I also double-check formatting requirements against the appropriate style guide.
- I complete a final read, only touching up where necessary prior to sending to you for approval.
What does your indexing process involve?
- I read the document to comprehend the content (with notes).
- I will complete a second read of the document in order to mark words and pages of importance (with index cards and notes).
- I then run the PDF through a software program that helps make sure I didn’t miss any pages.
- I will revise and edit the index.
- Finally, I return the content and send the completed file to the author.
Can I see my document before I pay the final invoice?
- Of course! Send me an email and I will send you what I have completed as of that very moment. Unless otherwise requested, I only send out invoices on the first of each month. You’ll get your document back as soon as I’ve finished my work.
Do you have some sort of guarantee?
- While I cannot guarantee that your content will increase your sales or become the next best-selling novel, I can promise another look or a portion of your money back should your copy be rejected for issues concerning the English language.
- Just a note: I always run through each document three times prior to sending it back to you! Editing is an iterative process.
- Just a second note: I also use PerfectIt 4 by Intelligent Editing for additional support on every document.
What file types and software do you work with?
- I work with PDF and Microsoft Word files.
I have a specific style I prefer to use. I need to make sure everything is always consistent. Can you do that?
- If you already have a specific style in mind, that is no problem at all! In fact, that’s definitely part of my job! Download my style sheet template, fill it in, then send it back to me. It’s that simple!
If you have any other questions, let me know!