Welcome! My name is Ms. Ashley Lowe, M.Ed. I will be your/your student’s English teacher. Let’s get a little housekeeping out of the way:
- Blue or black pen/s
- One 1-1/2-inch or 2-inch binder with clear pocket front
- One college-ruled one subject notebook
- Large supply of college-ruled loose leaf paper
- One zippered pencil pouch with 3-ring holes (attaching inside binder)
- One package of page protectors
- One package of binder dividers (ability to create at least 5 sections)
- One of each: green, yellow, blue, pink, and orange highlighters
- One red pen
- One set of small and large sticky notes
- One package of dry erase markers (any color other than yellow)
- One copy of Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Let it be known that I have extremely high expectations for any individual within my classroom. This specific expectation will be discussed with students on the first day of school.
- Be open to new ideas and perspectives.
- Treat others better than you wish to be treated.
- Be prepared for class.
- Work hard and participate
- Try new things, take risks, and learn from your mistakes.
- BONUS: We never quit.
Student grades will be based on the following elements:
- Participation and effort
- Written assignments
- Classroom activities
- Journaling assignments
- Reading assignments
- We keep the environment clean and organized at all times. Pick up after yourself.
- There is a zero tolerance policy for bullying or any other unacceptable social behavior.
- I respect students as individuals. I expect students to respect me as an individual and a teacher/leader/mentor/guide/coach/etc. I expect students to respect each other as individuals, as well.
- When someone is talking, do not talk over them. This applies to all teachers and students alike.
- Phones are only utilized in the classroom when called for per the assignment of the day. If a student’s phone is out at an inappropriate time, it will be taken away to be given back after class.
Late work is accepted in Ms. Lowe’s English class. However, 10% of the final grade will be deducted for every day the assignment is late. Students are maturing into young men and women; I expect them to behave as such. Be advised that it is each student’s responsibility to ensure he/she makes up any work missed on his/her own time.
I whole-heartedly believe that every individual within a learning situation deserves the opportunity to learn from mistakes by fixing them. With that said, students are ALWAYS welcomed and encouraged to “re-do” assignments for a higher grade by learning from their mistakes.
Extra Credit Opportunities
There will be opportunities for extra credit each semester, but only for those students who complete all of their regular assignments.
Plagiarism is a zero tolerance offense in Ms. Lowe’s classroom. If a student chooses to steal someone’s work and call it his/her own, he/she is choosing to accept a zero on said assignment.
Final Exams and Portfolios
There are semester exams in the form of essays and Scantrons. Students will also be creating a portfolio of their written work. Students will save all written assignments throughout the semester, correct and revise them, then turn in a portfolio presentation of progress for further credit.
If you have any questions, always feel free to reach out to me via email. This is the easiest and fastest way to get a response. You may also contact me at any time via Edsby. Please also know that Edsby is updated on a daily basis.
We are going to make this a wonderful year!
Ashley Lowe, M.Ed.
English Department, RM 338