I recently completed this [partial] interactive center as an idea for a professional development course. I hope it works out for someone! I am going to apply this to my secondary coursework as a review for literary terms and academic vocabulary for semester two.
Use it, lose it, tweak it… 😀
There is also an extra vocabulary 3-2-1 worksheet below!
Interactive Vocabulary Center
Activity Center: Dictionary Dig
Grade Level: First
Vocabulary: Feelings and Emotions (high-utility words)
- Students will identify the meaning of words and related information using a dictionary.
- Student Worksheet (see below)
Simple Step-By-Step Instructional Sequence:
- Students will be given a list of target words for vocabulary.
- Students will read the words on the student sheet.
- Students will look up the words in the dictionary.
- Students will record the meaning.
- Students will also record the whether the word is a noun, adjective, etc. as well as how to sound-out the word, synonyms, and antonyms.
- Students will draw a picture of what the word looks like.
- Students will use the word in an appropriate sentence.
- Teacher will review the center activity completed by students and follow-up with remediation where needed.
Hope someone can use it!