Welcome Packet Online
· Be open to new ideas and perspectives.
· Treat others better than you wish to be treated.
· Be prepared for class.
· Work hard and participate
· Try new things, take risks, and learn from your mistakes.
The student’s grade will be based on the following elements:
· Participation and effort
· Written assignments
· Classroom activities
· Journal assignments
· Reading assignments
Late work is not accepted in Ms. Lowe’s English class. The only exception for this rule is if a student is absent on the day the assignment is given or turned in.
· We keep the environment clean and organized at all times. Pick up after yourself.
· There is a zero tolerance policy for bullying or any other unacceptable social behavior.
· I respect students as individuals. I expect students to respect me as an individual and a teacher/ leader/mentor/guide/coach/etc.
· When someone is talking, do not talk over them.
· No food, drinks (other than water), or phones allowed in the classroom.
· Phones will be taken away for the duration of the class unless otherwise stated (example: Bring Your Own Device days).
There will be opportunities for extra credit each semester. Students may participate in Reading Counts! in the Media Center. With this, students will read a book. Once a student has completed the book, he/she will take an RC test in the Media Center. Each test consists of ten questions. The student will receive up to ten points for each test. Students may read up to five books (on reading level, no Cat in the Hat) for 50 extra credit points per semester.
I also encourage students to sign up for text messages via Remind 101. This will be discussed on the first day of class.
Plagiarism is a zero tolerance offense in Ms. Lowe’s classroom. If a student chooses to steal someone’s work and call it his/her own, he/she is choosing to accept a zero on the assignment.
There are semester exams in the form of essays and Scantron. Students will also have the opportunity to create a portfolio of their written work. Students will save all written assignments throughout the semester, correct and revise them, then turn in a portfolio presentation for improvement and participation credit!
Please feel free to contact me at any time with any questions, comments, or concerns!